Friday, October 2, 2009

New Name

Well, I finally did…I changed my blog address. The Peace Corps asked me to do this a couple months ago. It had something to do with the blog containing the word “Armenia” in the address. Anyway, I procrastinated for a while, but now it has been changed. The blog address is…

meetingmashtots.blogspot.com

…which is probably obvious to you if you are reading this post.

I suppose I should provide some explanation. Mesrop Mashtots was an Armenian monk and linguist who lived during the fourth and fifth centuries. He was tasked with the responsibility of creating the Armenian alphabet, which remains intact to this day. Many people say that the alphabet enabled the Armenians to establish a distinct identity…a kind of unifying, national spirit. Being rooted in Christian theology and connected to the Armenian Church itself, it is believed that the alphabet undoubtedly contributed to the preservation of Armenian culture in an area of the world dominated by invading empires. So, in a way, Armenia survives today in large part because of Mesrop Mashtots. The Armenian people know this and love him for it. There are statues of him all over the country and his picture is hanging in the classrooms of many Armenian schools.

Since we are trying to understand and integrate into Armenia, I thought “meetingmashtots” would be a nice title.

4 comments:

  1. Love seeing your faces in the wonderful pictures you've posted. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification, I thought you guys had meetings where you mashed tater tots. If you find any Armenian monk writings in english I'd love to check them out. Praying for you guys, if you have time, we are reading a group book this fall, got it off amazon for $6, called WHen Heaven Invades Earth. Later bro. -Dan S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andy! Thanks for teaching us some Armenian coolness. It is good to hear from you and see some of the cool things you have been experiencing. Keep us updated.

    Adam and Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Andy What's up? It's great to hear about all that's going on in your lives. Amazing dude! I can totally relate with the language. I've learned dutch in the last year and let's just say it has been fun. The sentance structure sounds very familiar to your explanation of Armenian. Stick with it buddy, you're way smarter than I am, you'll get it. Good luck,
    Nolan
    PS Still CrossFiting?

    ReplyDelete