Thursday, June 18, 2009

Alive and Well in Armenia





Finally…internet access. I haven’t had a chance to logon since we were in Philadelphia, three weeks ago…that’s hard to believe. The internet situation in Armenia is a little less developed than I anticipated, but I think once I figure it out, I’ll be able to update the blog more often. For the past few weeks I’ve been trying to set up my phone as a router for my laptop, but I haven’t been able to make it work quite yet. So, I broke down and went to an internet café in a nearby city, which is where I am now.

Anyway, we’re here! Nicole and I are living with a host family in a small village and it’s amazing. The landscape is dramatic, the people are wonderful, and the culture is fascinating. We’ve run into some small challenges, but nothing terrible. Our host family consists of a mom and dad, three sisters, and one brother. They are unbelievably hospitable, and they are very patient with us since we barely speak Armenian and they barely speak English. They’re doing a great job helping us acclimate. We couldn’t ask for anything more in a host family.

Since we landed in Armenia, we’ve been inundated with training. Language, safety, program information, health, culture, etc… It can be very tiring, but fascinating at the same time. We spent our first three days at a hostel/hotel in the mountains before moving in with our host family about two weeks ago. Hopefully, if everything goes according to plan, we’ll be sworn in as volunteers in mid-August and re-assigned to a different site that has yet to be determined. That will be the site where we will carry out our two years of service.

Well, I thought I’d just let everyone know what’s going on with us. I hope everyone is doing well.
Oh yeah…congratulations Matt…and…congratulations Dave and Dana!

-Andy

11 comments:

  1. I am SO happy to see that you two are off to a great start in your journey! It's good to see pictures. It looks like an amazing place to be; I have to say I am a little jealous. :) I hope training continues to go well, and that you are assigned to a placement that is equally as great as where you are now. Please give each other a hug from me. I can't wait to come see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to read your update!!!! We miss you so much, but we're happy, happy, happy for you that your adventure is going well. I'll send an email soon with pictures of our clan....WE LOVE YOU!!!! janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you both are alive and well. Definately was getting a little worried there. :) I'm sorry we missed your phone call the other day. :( Can't wait to hear from you though! Hope that you both are enjoying yourselves and absorbing in all you can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you guys are doing well! The pictures are awesome! It looks like you both are having a great time!

    Thanks for the congrats, man. Wish you could have been here...we missed you!

    Hope everything keeps going well...praying for you guys.

    P.S. I'll email you some links on using your cell phone as a modem. Hopefully you can get that working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep plugging away at the studies - you'll get there. I know you will be great representatives for us. Know that we miss you alot, but are thrilled for you as well. Look forward to more updates as you are able. Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see that all is well for you guys! Andy, do not hesitate to email me for any help, I've been down this road a million times.

    Love the pictures, it looks like you guys ended up in a beautiful area.

    Stay safe and well.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great! Countryside looks like parts of Colorado. Gram is doing well and likes Colorado and her new apartment.

    Uncle Dick

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you are enjoying Armenia! Madi talks about you guys all the time. MISS YA...LOVE YA!!!

    John and Carly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you met Surge Tankian from System Of A Down yet? Seriously though, glad all is well. Nice pics and well written update! We miss yens much! Joe Henry anxiously awaits more sparring opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful to hear from you. We miss you! Donkey sends a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas and Happy New year - It is fun to keep track of both of you during your great adventure.

    Grama Laila wanted us to remember her to you during this holiday season. She had us send a small check to your dad for your account as a Christmas gift.
    Dick and Gail

    ReplyDelete